14 Canceled Marvel Movies And Series! That Would Have Been Great And Why
They Were Cut A Version Of Black Widow That Was Released Almost Before Iron Man!
The Marvel Cinematic Universe is so expansive it almost feels like the studio is greenlighting it all. the non-MCU Marvel movies and Sony’s Spider-Man universe, and it’s hard to believe the production studios will pass on anything. However, many great-sounding projects are canceled before they can make it onto our screens.
Here are 14 Marvel film and TV show projects we almost achieved:
1. In 2010, Marvel announced that the Tobey Maguire-directed Spider-Man trilogy would feature a Spider-Man 4 holding his Spidey suit in front of him, Peter looks at him.
However, just before production began, the crew received an email stating that filming was being postponed because “[director] Sam Raimi is having story issues that [that] they re done. Raimi speaking at a panel at ComicCon
After reviewing several screenwriters, Raimi waited for a new draft of the screenplay from Alvin Sargent, who wrote Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2.
They also originally wanted Anne Hathaway to join the cast, but his fee was reportedly too high for the studio. Raimi eventually decided he couldn’t meet the studio’s deadline for a summer release and maintain his creative integrity, so he stripped returning to the franchise.
Raimi speaks with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst one
Instead of Raimi by u As the new director, the studio decided to cancel Spider-Man 4 and move on to A reboot (The Amazing Spider-Man). Peter in his Spidey suit, unmasked
Maguire told Deadline, “I’m very proud of what we’ve accomplished with the Spider-Man franchise over the past decade. lasting friendships. I am excited to see the next chapter of this amazing story unfold.
2. Back in 2014, Andrew Garfield and then Sony CEO Kaz Hirai wanted to announce the release of The Amazing SpiderMan 3 in 2016 at a Sony gala in Rio de Janeiro.
However, Garfield was late to Brazil and not feeling too well, sadly having to leave just hours before the event
The big presentation had to be changed significantly, and as the 2014 Sony email leaked later revealed, Sony execs were so upset they fired Garfield and canceled the project.
So Sony decided to negotiate with Marvel to bring Spider-Man into the MCU
3. After the end of the animated series, What If…? On Disney+, director Bryan Andrews revealed that Marvel plans to spin off the StarLord version of T’Challa.
On the verge of escaping the Collector, T’Challa turns to the stars for a solution. Boseman strikes the ‘Wakanda Forever’ pose on the red carpet at the Black Panther premiere Alberto E.
“T’Challa meant a lot to him, and so did this new version of StarLord T ‘Challa so important to him. He liked it,” Andrews told Variety. Andrews isn’t sure if Boseman knew about the plans for a spin-off, but he does know that “he would have loved it, too.” at Nebula Marvel Studios/via Disney+
4. In 2004, Lionsgate reportedly struck a deal with Marvel to make a Black Widow movie and have XMen screenwriter David Hayter write and direct it. Natasha wears her signature outfit and lands in a fighting pose.
Hayter was so involved in the script that he named his newborn daughter Natasha while writing it. Describing her screenplay in Peter Hanson’s Tales from the Script: 50 Hollywood Screenwriters Share Their Stories, Hayter said, “She’s a, and she’s been called back to where she grew up to face her past, the divided Soviet empire… In the year.” However, in 2006, Lionsgate pulled out of the project, citing the box office flop of female-led action films like Aeon Flux and Ultraviolet,
Hayter told IGN, “Marvel and I spoke to a few other financiers at the time, but I’ve never felt comfortable finding a place that was willing to take the film and the character seriously. Six years later, Natasha Romanoff made her MCU debut.
Hayter changed into so invested withinside the script that, whilst writing it, he named his new child daughter Natasha.
Describing his screenplay in Peter Hanson’s Tales from the Script: 50 Hollywood Screenwriters Share Their Stories, Hayter stated, “She’s a contract mercenary, and she or he’s known as again to in which she changed into introduced up to stand her past. What I attempted to do changed into use the backdrop of the splintered Soviet Empire…” However, in 2006, Lionsgate pulled out of the task, mentioning the field workplace failure of female-led motion films like Aeon Flux and Ultraviolet.
Hayter advised IGN, “Marvel and I then spoke to three different financing entities, however I by no means felt cushty that we had observed an area that changed into inclined to take the film, and the person, seriously.” Six years later, Natasha Romanoff made her MCU debut in Iron Man 2, however, Hayter’s model of her solo movie by no means noticed the mild of day.
Marvel launched Black Widow, directed with the aid of using Cate Shortland and written with the aid of using Eric Pearson, in 2021.
5. That’s now no longer the best time Marvel determined to update a creator who’d spent years on a screenplay. In 2003, screenwriter and director Edgar Wright co-wrote an Ant-Man treatment. carrying a formidable fit, the curly-haired director poses at the pink carpet
For over a decade of manufacturing delays, he constantly brought rewrite after rewrite.
Then, in 2014, Marvel Studios commissioned a brand-new draft of the script from a special creator without Wright’s input.
Two months earlier than manufacturing began, he officially resigned from the task. Ant-Man, directed with the aid of using Peyton Reed, changed into launched in 2015. together along with his Ant-Man fit putting from the bathe rod, Scott Lang seems cautiously over his shoulder
Wright advised Variety, “I desired to make a Marvel film however I don’t assume they surely desired to make an Edgar Wright film. … Suddenly turning into a director-for-rent on it, you’re the form of much less emotionally invested and also you begin to marvel why you’re there, surely.”
6. In 2015, Marvel introduced Damage Control, an ABC sitcom approximately the group in the price of cleaning up the destruction the heroes depart behind. the employees survey the Chitauri destruction after the Battle of New York
The display changed into evolved with the aid of using Ben Karlin, who govt produced The Daily Show. The Department of Damage Control — “a joint undertaking among Stark Industries and the federal government” — changed into delivered in Spider-Man: Homecoming. the branch head we could the salvagers understand that every one post-warfare cleanup operations at the moment are below her jurisdiction
However, in 2019, Marvel Television changed into folded into the bigger Marvel Studios group, and improvement at the display changed into canceled. an information tale approximately the brand new branch performs on a vintage TV
7. In 2014, Channing Tatum changed into a set to super mega-celebrity in a standalone X-Men derivative, Gambit. dressed casually in an open blazer, t-blouse, and jeans, Tatum leans towards the arm of his chair on a speak display
He additionally desired to codirect the film with Reid Carolin, his generating partner, however, the studio “desired all of us, however [them], essentially, due to the fact [they] had by no means directed anything.” Tatum and Carolin pose with their hands round every different at the pink carpet
After Disney and Fox merged in 2019, the task changed into canceled — leaving Tatum feeling so “traumatized” that he stopped looking at Marvel films altogether.
He advised Variety, “I cherished that person. It changed into simply too unhappy. It changed into like dropping a chum due to the fact I changed into so equipped to play him.”
8. Initially, Marvel deliberate to comply with 2008’s The Incredible Hulk with a sequel starring Edward Norton. mouth agape, Bruce stares at what is earlier than him
The first film’s finishing changed into purposely ambiguous due to the fact the studio did not understand if the second one could pop out earlier than The Avengers or after. In the sequel, Bruce Banner could’ve discovered to stay together along with his transformation and turn out to be an “aware dreamer” who remained lucid because of the Hulk.
However, for the duration of the primary film’s enhancing stage, Norton and the studio butted heads, and maximum of Bruce Banner’s personal improvement ended up at the slicing room floor. sitting at a lab desk in a college classroom, Bruce cautiously does an experiment
In 2010, Marvel and Norton formally parted ways, and he changed into changed with the aid of using Mark Ruffalo in The Avengers. at the helicarrier, Bruce talks together along with his new teammates
Additionally, whilst Disney bought Marvel Studios in 2009, some other Hulk solo movies have become an impossibility due to the fact Universal owns the distribution rights.
9. Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn pitched a derivative film starring Dave Bautista and Pom Klementieff as Drax and Mantis. Drax and Mantis snort and factor at Star-Lord
Bautista advised Digital Spy, “He laid it out to me. I notion it changed into this kind of great idea, however, I have not heard any comply with-up from the studio.” smiling wide, Gunn and Bautista pose collectively in a hectic terminal
He continued, “I do not assume they are very interested, or it would not match into the manner they’ve matters mapped out. But apart from that, no. I mean, as some distance as my obligations, I’ve were given Guardians 3, and that is probably going to be the quit of Drax.” He additionally stated that, if Disney+ provided him a Drax collection, he would not do it due to the fact it might be a “make-up nightmare.” status strong, Drax is scanned for his jail intake
10. In 2011, Marvel Television introduced its plan to create a Mockingbird collection, which could comply with Bobbi Morse’s Hannah Montana–fashion double existence as a nerdy university pupil with the aid of using day and S.H.I.E.L.D. superspy with the aid of using night. baton in hand, Bobbi pauses withinside the hallway, listening for danger
It changed into defined as “Alias meets Felicity.” The collection remained in improvement till an older model of Bobbi Morse, performed with the aid of using Adrianne Palicki, changed into delivered withinside the 2nd season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Bobbi visits Fitzsimmons’ lab
Then, Marvel filmed a pilot for an AOS derivative known as Most Wanted, which focused on Bobbi Morse and her fellow agent/ex-husband Lance Hunter (performed with the aid of using Nick Blood).
However, in 2015, ABC elected now no longer to select up the brand new collection, and the characters remained a part of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Bobbi leans together along with her hands folded, and Lance stands together along with his fingers in his pockets
11. In 2016, Marvel and ABC Studios introduced their plans to increase New Warriors, a comedy collection approximately a “junior model of the Avengers” offering Squirrel Girl. Squirrel Girl wears an ears headscarf and a squirrel tale, and she or he has a lovely puppy squirrel sitting on her shoulder
Freeform ordered the display immediately to the collection, and Milana Vayntrub (who you may apprehend from the AT&T commercials) changed into solid as Squirrel Girl. carrying a long, floral dress, Vayntrub smiles at the pink carpet at NYCC
Other solid participants covered Derek Theler, Calum Worthy, Kate Comer, Matthew Moy, and Jeremy Tardy. In 2017, though, Freeform canceled the collection, and the pilot changed into an unsuccessfully shopped round to different platforms.
In 2021, showrunner Kevin Biegel alleged that “a unique strength that be killed the display…as it changed into too gay.” carrying an understated collared blouse, jacket, and jeans, Beigel smiles at the pink carpet
A spokesperson for Marvel refuted Biegel’s claims and advised PinkNews that Marvel changed into “completely supportive of the display.” They continued, “After the initially deliberate community determined now no longer to transport forward, different vendors passed, and the display did now no longer circulate forward.”
12. Similarly, after Gabriel Luna joined Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as Robbie Reyes/Ghost Rider in 2016, Marvel deliberate a Ghost Rider derivative. carrying his signature leather-based jacket, Robbie stands together along with his fists clenched, equipped for a warfare
Hulu picked up the collection in May 2019 and deliberate to launch it in 2020. in a garage room, Robbie is alert to an unexpected threat
However, whilst the streaming platform and the display’s group reached an “innovative impasse,” the collection changed into canceled altogether in September 2019. Robbie casts a unhappy glance
In 2021, Luna expressed his willingness to go back to the MCU as Ghost Rider on every occasion they are equipped for him. carrying a glittery fit at the pink carpet, Luna smiles
13. In 2011, whilst they had been operating on X-Men: First Class, then-screenwriting companions Zack Stentz and Ashley Edward Miller had been additionally secretly operating on a chief crossover movie for Fox. the 2 writers take a seat down on panels at comic-con events
The film covered all the Marvel houses Fox-owned at the time, together with the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, Deadpool, and Daredevil. the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, Deadpool, and Daredevil all stand collectively
Fox desired Paul Greengrass to direct the bold movie, however, he had scheduling troubles with some other task on the time. carrying spherical glasses and a puffer jacket, the director smiles at the pink carpet
Unfortunately, the crossover film, in the end, did not come to be operating out for Fox.
14. And finally, in 2017, FX introduced a person lively Deadpool collection headed with the aid of using Donald Glover and his brother, Stephen. Deadpool narrows his eyes and points
However, in 2018, the collection changed into canceled over “innovative differences” among the Glover brothers and the community.
Afterward, Donald Glover shared a spoof model of his script, wherein Deadpool mocked Marvel and the display’s cancellation. carrying a glittery floral fit jacket, low-reduce blouse with a bow, and trousers, Donald Glover smiles at the pink carpet
On Twitter, taStephen Glover shared his personal principle for why the collection changed into canceled. He stated, “There surely changed into a Taylor Swift episode…It changed into HILARIOUS. And it clearly changed into the remaining straw lol.” carrying a crisp, retro-stimulated fit and bowtie, Stephen Glover poses at the pink carpet
All Image Credit/copyright to their respective Owner.